CEAC as an Institution
CEAC is an institution officially established by leading lawyers, law firms and scholars around the globe. Further founding members were the Hamburg Bar Organisation (an official administration representing more than 10,000 lawyers) and the Hamburg Chamber of Commerce (representing about 150.000 companies in Hamburg and home of the Hamburg Beijing Conciliation Centre since almost 30 years).
For more information: Under German law, to start its activities, the Chinese European Arbitration Centre GmbH was duly registered with the Commercial Register of Hamburg at HRB 106638. It does not require a further license. Today, CEAC is supported by its founders and the members of the Chinese European Legal Association (CELA), which includes leading international law firms, academics and businesses as well as the Hamburg Bar Organisation and the Chamber of Commerce Hamburg. See CELA List of members.
A CEAC arbitration proceeding commences with a notice of arbitration to be sent to CEAC. The notice of arbitration shall include inter alia a demand to refer the dispute to arbitration, the parties, a brief description of the claim and a relief or remedy sought. A more detailed list can be found in our checklist for a notice of arbitration.
CEAC arbitration proceedings are governed by the CEAC Rules. The CEAC Rules contain provisions on the initiation of arbitration proceedings including inter alia the constitution of the tribunal (Art. 2-14), on the arbitration proceedings themselves (Art. 15-30, 33-34) and on the termination of proceedings (Art. 31 et seqq.).
CEAC services include the...
- Administration of initiating an arbitration proceeding including the constitution of an arbitral tribunal; in particular, upon request of a party, the CEAC Appointing Authority nominates an arbitrator. This might be
(i) a sole arbitrator, if the parties cannot agree,
(ii) the second arbitrator in case of default of Respondent (Art. 7 para. 2 of the CEAC Rules) or
(iii) a Chairman if the first and second arbitrator do not agree on a Chairman (Art. 9 para. 2 CEAC Rules);
- Decision on challenges of arbitrators (Art. 13 para. 4 CEAC Rules);
- Monitoring of the timing of ongoing arbitration proceedings and
- Dealing with all issues of costs (Art. 41 et seq. CEAC Rules).
The CEAC does not...
- control the contents of a procedural and substantive decisions of an arbitral tribunal duly constituted according to the CEAC Rules.